Is low care, intermediate care, or high care right for me?

Depending on their health and circumstances, different people require different types of home support. For one person, it could be housework assistance and a weekly exercise class. Another person may require assistance each morning in showering, dressing, and getting ready for the day.

As a result, the government's Home Care Package programme is adaptable, with different levels of funding available for a wide range of services. A Home Care Package can provide you with the assistance you require, whether it is assistance with housekeeping, social activities, or high care with medical support.

Here's a quick rundown of the various levels of Home Care Packages, how you'll be assigned one, and how to find a carer.

From low care to high care

The Australian Government funds four levels of Home Care Packages to meet a wide range of needs. Each level provides you with a certain amount of funding for services that will allow you to stay at home for a longer period of time. This includes domestic assistance, transportation, personal care, social activities, clinical and nursing care, allied health therapy, 24/7 support, garden maintenance, nutrition, and meal preparation.



Level 1 (basic care needs)

The first level of care is for people who are mostly self-sufficient and capable of performing daily tasks but require some assistance to stay safe and healthy. This could imply a weekly visit from a carer who keeps you company for a couple of hours. They could assist you with housekeeping, meal preparation, grocery shopping, or pet care. You could also get help once a month to keep your garden in good shape.

Level 2 (low care needs)

This is for people who require little assistance to live independently at home. It could be three or four visits per week from a care worker for personal care, domestic assistance, transportation to appointments or activities, and social support. It may also include some equipment or aids to assist you in moving around and performing tasks safely at home, such as a walking frame.

Level 3 (intermediate care needs)

This level of service is for those who require a moderate amount of regular home support. It provides access to trained medical professionals such as a Registered Nurse, nutrition and diet support, skin integrity management, Allied Health services such as podiatry, speech therapy, and physiotherapy, mobility aids, and support with changes in behaviour or memory, in addition to personal care and domestic assistance.

Level 4 (high care needs)

Level 4 home care is intended for elders who require difficult or comprehensive care. Aside from housework assistance, this typically entails daily visits from a care worker or nurse, medical support, personal care (e.g., bathing, dressing, getting in and out of bed), equipment, meal and nutrition support, or complex care. It can be given to people who have diseases that require a lot of care, such as advanced stage dementia or mobility issues.

What is the care level assigned to my Home Care Package?

When you contact My Aged Care for Government assistance (via their website or by calling 1300 73 6603), you may be referred for an assessment to determine the level of care you require at home.

Assessments are conducted in the comfort of your own home. An Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) assessor will contact you and set up a face-to-face meeting with you.During that appointment, they will chat to you about how you’re coping, your care needs, and your interests. Additionally, you can have someone with you the entire time, such as a family member or friend, and you can ask any questions you may have.

You may be assigned a Home Care Package level that best meets your needs based on that assessment. After that, you'll have the freedom to pick your own carer and use in-home services whenever it's convenient for you. Together with you, your provider will create a special set of services and supports.

Do you need assistance applying for a Home Care Package or would like to speak with someone about the process? Do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.

Should I move into a nursing home if I want high care?

Because of the need for regular supervision and care from medical staff, high care is frequently associated with nursing home care. While some seniors may choose to live in a residential aged care facility, it is possible to remain at home even if your care needs are complex.

The Government's Home Care Package includes funding for high- or complex-level care, which includes services like personal care (showering, changing, getting in and out of bed), taking care of the housework, mobility equipment, nursing care, skin care (such as assistance with bandages and dressings), mechanical devices for lifting, continence management, and nutrition. If they choose to, people with complex care requirements can stay at home for a longer amount of time.

How do I choose a high care provider?

It's important to choose someone you trust to provide you with care in your own home if you have a choice over who provides care. Here are some things to think about when deciding between low and high care providers.

Supported Living Services provides high quality support – From low care to high care - depending on the individual's needs. Our devoted and enthusiastic personnel are dispersed around Australia in various locations. We are dedicated to provide a superior service that enables people to maintain their level of independence at home for as long as possible.

Please contact us if you would like more information or a free consultation.

You have questions, we have answers.

Contact Us
Supported Living Services

We specialize in supported independent living offer respite and caring for disability clients- in home care

© 2022 Supported Living Services.
All Rights Reserved.