Answers to your questions about supported independent living

Supported Independent Living (SIL), a type of support offered by the NDIS, enables you to live independently while providing you with the chance to develop new skills.

It gives you daylong monitoring and help because it is intended for disabled people with significant support needs. This can be getting assistance with personal care responsibilities, receiving assistance with meal preparation, acquiring independent living skills, or participating in weekly community events.

You might have questions about what SIL is and how it functions, whether you're just beginning to learn more about the NDIS or have been given funding for SIL. We respond to a few of the often asked questions regarding supported independent living to help you understand the fundamentals.

Want to discuss Supported Independent Living with a Supported Living Services disability care expert? We'd love to talk. Here is how to contact us.



How do I qualify for Supported Independent Living?

Your NDIS planner or Local Area Coordinator will get in touch with you after you are approved for the NDIS to schedule your initial planning meeting. They will collaborate with you to set objectives and choose the appropriate living and home supports to make those goals a reality.

You can also talk about whether SIL meets your needs at this meeting. Your planner will determine whether applying for SIL is a reasonable and essential support for your situation if you decide to do so. They will consider a variety of factors, including your age (SIL is only available to NDIS participants over the age of 18), personal goals, capacity building requirements, independent living skills, whether you require one-on-one support, and any reports or assessments from your healthcare providers and other service providers.

Who provides me with Supported Independent Living?

Participants in the NDIS receive SIL from a registered SIL provider, who provides professional support workers to assist people in living independently at home.

There are a number of SIL providers in Australia who can assist you. It is worthwhile to do your research and select the provider who will best assist you in reaching your objectives. Consider the following:

What is a Roster of Care?

A Roster of Care is an outline of everyone's weekly support needs in a house. It's basically a spreadsheet that divides a 24-hour day into 30-minute segments. It demonstrates how you will share supports during the week if you have housemates in a shared living environment as a worker to housemate ratio (for example, one support worker could be providing services to two participants). This document assists the NDIS in determining how much funding you will require for SIL support.

A provider will work with you to create a Roster of Care based on your needs. Before submitting the roster for NDIS funding, SIL providers must share the Roster of Care with you as a client.

What is a Support Coordinator?

Navigating SIL – and NDIS funding in general – can be a daunting task. A Support Coordinator makes it easier for you by assisting you in understanding and implementing your individual plan. This means you'll get the help you need to reach your objectives.

A NDIS Support Coordinator can help you:

A Support Coordinator differs from a case manager in that they offer NDIS participants a subsidised service. If you qualify for SIL, you might also get funding for a support coordinator to assist you in putting your plan into action.

You can select the Support Coordinator you want to work with, just like with other NDIS services (and they do not have to be the same provider as your SIL provider). Spend some time locating the ideal match for you. A Support Coordinator who listens, understands your needs and goals, empowers you to be in charge of your care, and has your best interests in mind will assist you in making the most of your plan.

What is a Service Agreement?

A Service Agreement is a legally binding agreement between you and your SIL provider. It explicitly outlines what you and your provider have agreed to, as well as what supports are being offered, the associated charges, your rights and obligations, and the duration of the agreements before they can be modified. The Australian Consumer Law applies to it.

You are not required to create a service agreement with your SIL provider, but it is recommended so that both parties understand what supports are provided, how they look, and how much they cost. Someone else, such as a family member or loved one, can assist you in creating and understanding a service agreement with your provider.

What should I do if my SIL supports malfunction?

It is acceptable to speak up. A good SIL provider should keep lines of communication open with you. Check that they have appropriate ways for you to provide feedback, request changes, and review how things are going before you agree to their services.

As you receive services, communicate with your provider about what is working for you and what you may require.Inform them if you are dissatisfied with something. If you ever feel unsafe or unhappy with your NDIS support or services, you can contact the NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission at 1300 73 66 03 and file a report if necessary.

If I am not eligible for SIL, what are my other options?

SIL funding is not available to everyone, but there are other NDIS supports that can help you live more independently at home. This could include:

Your NDIS Support Coordinator or Local Area Coordinator will discuss what supports are available and which ones are best suited to your needs with you.

What distinguishes Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA) from Supported Independent Living (SIL)?

You may be wondering how Supported Independent Living and Specialist Disability Accommodation differ as you begin your NDIS participant journey. They are separate services even though they both pertain to accommodations for people with disabilities.

A Specialist Disability Accommodation is a home for people who have severe functional impairments or require extensive support. It can consist of shared supported housing, community residential units, or self-contained homes outfitted with specialized housing solutions.

Supported Independent Living refers to the on-site assistance you receive with daily living tasks. If you need both an SDA house and SIL due to your disability, the NDIS will fund them separately. This gives you more flexibility and control, as you can choose to live in a location that you prefer while also having access to another SIL provider that meets your needs.

Supported Living Services provides high-quality person-centered SIL services. Our one-on-one support and daily living assistance enable clients to live independently, achieve their goals, and thrive doing what they love. For more information, please get in touch.

You have questions, we have answers.

Contact Us
Supported Living Services

We specialize in supported independent living offer respite and caring for disability clients- in home care

© 2022 Supported Living Services.
All Rights Reserved.